Wednesday 29 September 2010

Very brief autobiography

I had certain ancestors, I was born in a certain place in a certain year, I went to certain schools and college*, I passed or failed to pass or (despite very nearly first-rate intelligence) only just scraped through certain exams, as a result I worked in certain jobs. What does that kind of information say about me, the true inner me-ness of me? A little, yes, but not very much, because it approximates to the experience of tens of thousands of others (at least?) And, ungrateful though that appears, now that I feel grown up at last -- high time at 68! -- it is in many ways despite not because of my family, education and 'profession'.

Not at all by the way:
I don't acknowledge any inferiority in intelligence or talent to others who got into Cambridge at 17, (although I'm sure many of them have worked harder.)

I taught at two highly regarded schools, I have had three books published, and uncountable reviews. Most importantly, two remarkable women have fallen in love with me.

What I have not achieved is fame or wealth or public honours -- well, the first I would probably have detested.

I was an excellent husband and father*  in unspeakably difficult circumstances; that is something I am most proud of. (And need to be.) Though not formally married, I have been a good husband to Judith, and have never (well, never at all seriously) thought about another woman - loyalty!

(*It is now more than 25 years and I have had not one word from my stepchildren, whom I loved, as far as I can tell, just as if they were of my own blood, and made so many sacrifices for. If it were to be only one word, 'thanks' would be appropriate.)

I was brought up to be a 'rabid' teetotaler. If I had to be brought up to be (what is regarded as) a crank, I would much rather it had been as a nudist and vegetarian.

*I have written about 'Sharth School'; I'd like some time to add -- it too would be sarcastic -- 'St. Saviour's College, Oxbridge.'

No comments:

Post a Comment