Wednesday 29 September 2010

Brief 'philosophy'

Is there a God?
Do I have a soul?/Is there life after death?

I grew up among people who were sure that the answers were yes! and yes! to those two questions. Those who have not thought about them, whatever their answers, have relinquished any claim to be intelligent, or never had any to begin with.
My own answers now are 'yes' to both, though cautiously. I am a Christian, (yes, I am, though maybe nowadays only just about), though often sceptical, and probably unorthodox; I admire Taoism because it pays attention to the physical body in a way Christianity does not.
I incline to believe in reincarnation.
I incline to believe that the Universe is itself a living creature (whether that is the same as saying the Universe itself is God, I just don't know.)

Everything seems to be knitting together.

---
Two thoughts:

Apart from the alleged 'primordial soup' in which 'by chance' life 'arose' there is no case in which life has ever arisen except from other life - isn't this an argument for God?

I cannot write even a note to the milkman without putting into it something of myself - my handwriting, my characteristic way of expressing myself; I cannot create anything wholly separate from myself. So it is untenable to say even that God can - everything must share in His Is-ness. Foolish to ask, do dogs have a soul? or birds? or slugs? All participate in the life of God, everything is partly Spirit - or rather principally.

From 'internal evidence', looking at the night sky, I deduce a love of beauty and an amazing even as-it-were insane extravagence.

But can we really know God?

--
Two reflections on the religious/social training, such as it was, that I had as a child:

God made everything, but parts of my body were 'naughty'. this 'naughtiness' was attended with horror, fear, even hatred which war, for instance, did not inspire.

I like everybody else had a body and a soul. The soul was entirely a different thing from the body. That 'entirely' is heresy.

I firmly believe that this alleged separation was the root of very much ill-health.
--
And in order to save your soul mustn't you find it first? (Know thyself.) NOT make cliche-ridden assumptions about your own character.

As a teenager I inveighed against 'respectability', obsessive concern with what the family or the neighbours would think about you -- and surely I was right, because all this is a disguise for what you think of yourself, preening yourself on your own good character. And have I ever myself been free of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment